You don’t have any Active Subscription.
Subscribed with another email? Logout and Login with that one.
Account subscription benefits alongside Premium Stories, Editorials, Opinions and more. Unlock these with Subscription
Additional Subscription Benefits
Need help with your subscription?
The View From India Looking at World Affairs from the Indian perspective.
First Day First Show News and reviews from the world of cinema and streaming.
Today's Cache Your download of the top 5 technology stories of the day.
Science For All The weekly newsletter from science writers takes the jargon out of science and puts the fun in!
Data Point Decoding the headlines with facts, figures, and numbers
THEdge At the cutting edge of education and careers
Health Matters Ramya Kannan writes to you on getting to good health, and staying there
Gender Agenda Stories from beyond the binary.
On Books Books of the week, reviews, excerpts, new titles and features.
Published - August 23, 2026 11:24 am IST - HYDERABAD
A seven-storey under-construction building collapsed in Gachibowli’s Anjaiah Nagar, Hyderabad on Saturday , August 22, 2026, killing two workers. Fire and DRF teams recovered the bodies from the debris | Photo Credit: Ramakrishna G.
A multi-storeyed building in Gachibowli that collapsed on Saturday (August 22, 2026), killing two people and damaging an adjoining building, was issued a show-cause notice and speaking orders by the Cyberabad Municipal Corporation (CMC) 66 days earlier over unauthorised construction.
The CMC Town Planning Section issued the notice and speaking orders on June 17 in connection with the building at H.No. 1-60/113/135/1, Anjaiah Nagar, Gachibowli Village, Serilingampally mandal, Ranga Reddy district. Despite the action, the building, comprising a ground floor, six upper floors and a penthouse, collapsed on August 22.
Following the collapse, CMC Commissioner G. Srijana ordered the immediate suspension of U. Santosh Kumar, Town Planning Building Officer (TPBO), Circle-50, Madhapur, for failing to stop the unauthorised construction. The suspension order described the matter as a case of neglect of official duties and said the failure resulted in loss of life and endangered public safety. Disciplinary proceedings have been contemplated against the officer.
The suspension order, issued on Saturday (August 22, 2026), said the unauthorised building had collapsed at the premises, resulting in the death of two persons and damage to the adjoining building. It said that Mr. Santosh Kumar, as the TPBO of Circle-50, Madhapur, had failed to stop the unauthorised construction. He has been placed under suspension with immediate effect pending conclusion of the disciplinary proceedings.
The Town Planning Section said the building had been constructed by Farheen Siddiq and Md. Sajid without obtaining the required building permission and without maintaining the prescribed setbacks. The report further stated that the apparent use of poor-quality construction materials and the absence of proper technical supervision contributed to the collapse.
The Town Planning Section has also approached the Raidurgam police seeking registration of a criminal case against both the owners and others under the applicable provisions of law. The department requested the police to take necessary action and intimate the CMC about the action taken.
Following the collapse, the CMC Commissioner has directed the Town Planning Wing to undertake a comprehensive inspection of unauthorised constructions across the Cyberabad Municipal Corporation limits. Necessary enforcement action, including demolition of unauthorised structures wherever warranted, will be taken in accordance with the applicable rules.
Officials have also been directed to ensure strict monitoring and enforcement of building regulations, with public safety accorded the highest priority. The CMC said it would continue to take firm action against unauthorised constructions and lapses in enforcement.
Published - August 23, 2026 11:24 am IST
Terms & conditions | Institutional Subscriber
Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.
We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.
Comments ()
Be the first to share your perspective on this story!