You don’t have any Active Subscription.
Subscribed with another email? Logout and Login with that one.
Account subscription benefits alongside Premium Stories, Editorials, Opinions and more. Unlock these with Subscription
Additional Subscription Benefits
Need help with your subscription?
The View From India Looking at World Affairs from the Indian perspective.
First Day First Show News and reviews from the world of cinema and streaming.
Today's Cache Your download of the top 5 technology stories of the day.
Science For All The weekly newsletter from science writers takes the jargon out of science and puts the fun in!
Data Point Decoding the headlines with facts, figures, and numbers
THEdge At the cutting edge of education and careers
Health Matters Ramya Kannan writes to you on getting to good health, and staying there
Gender Agenda Stories from beyond the binary.
On Books Books of the week, reviews, excerpts, new titles and features.
Updated - August 24, 2026 01:43 am IST - TIRUCHI
Tamil Nadu Minister for Hindu Religious and Charitable Endowments (HR&CE) Ramesh. File | Photo Credit:
Defending the announcement of an exclusive mandapam (resting hall) for devotees cured of chickenpox at Sri Mariamman Temple at Anbil, Minister for Hindu Religious and Charitable Endowments (HR&CE) Ramesh on Sunday accused the DMK of spreading false propaganda to demean the government.
Speaking to reporters in Tiruchi, Mr. Ramesh said the proposed mandapam was for those who visited the temple after recovering from chickenpox. The temple drew a large number of devotees from across the State, many of whom wanted to stay at the temple to fulfil their vows to the goddess Mariamman if they were cured of chickenpox, he said.
The government had announced the construction of the mandapam upon receiving several petitions from devotees and considering the rising number of visitors. However, the DMK launched a false propaganda campaign online, claiming that the mandapam would spread the disease as those with chickenpox would congregate there, the Minister said.
He further said that Ministers and the TVK MLAs had been strictly adhering to the dignity of the House. However, the DMK members had been following a disruptive approach by causing ruckus in the Assembly, he said.
On criticism levelled by the Opposition that Chief Minister C. Joseph Vijay did not bother to answer the questions directed at him, Mr. Ramesh said many Ministers actively responding to the questions directed at the Chief Minister, and that there was nothing wrong in that as they too were part of the government.
He added that former Minister P.K. Sekarbabu had been misusing his influence to collect inputs from the HR&CE Department to prtoect himself from the wrongdoing. No officials, who passed on the inside inputs of the department, would be spared and severe action would be taken against them.
Published - August 24, 2026 12:04 am IST
Terms & conditions | Institutional Subscriber
Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.
We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.
Comments ()
Be the first to share your perspective on this story!